Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My "go-to" whole wheat pancake mix


Growing up, I had the mom who gave us "brown bread" when all of my friends had white.  I quickly ate that brown bread sandwich as fast as I could because I was so embarrassed and didn't want anyone to see me (yes, these were the days when self-consciousness is at an all-time high) Oddly enough..."brown bread"...or "whole wheat" as I like to refer to it now, is all I make these days and I count myself very blessed indeed to have had such a forethinking mom.  Needless, to say, she got me the wheat grinder and gave me some of her favorite "whole wheat" recipes...which, to this day, I use.  One of them is for the most amazing whole wheat pancakes you've ever had.  I've posted about these before, but since EVERY SINGLE person who eats them, wants the recipe, I thought it was appropriate to re-post this pancake recipe.
This is my "go-to" pancake mix. Most of my pancake varieties have this base to them. They are fluffy, very fluffy (especially considering they are WHOLE WHEAT)! Everyone who tries them switches to this recipe for their morning breakfasting of pancakes. They really are delicious.  So, here it is again...my "go-to" pancake recipe.


Nana’s Light and Fluffy Pancakes 

11⁄2-13⁄4 C whole wheat flour, sifted
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1⁄4 C brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
11⁄2 C milk
2Toil

Heat the griddle. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until they form soft peaks when the beaters are lifted. Beat the egg yolks, milk and oil. Add the yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and blend. Fold in the egg whites. Bake on a hot, greased griddle. Serves about 4 people, depending on the size of the pancakes. I usually double the recipe because my family devours it.
Note: I make about six times the amount of the dry ingredients and keep it in my refrigerator for quick access to pancakes. Then, when I want to make pancakes in a hurry, I get 1 1⁄2 -1 3⁄4 C of the dry mix (depending on how much flour you used) and then mix in the yolk mixture. I beat this really well to get rid of any settled chunks of brown sugar and then fold in the egg whites...it is great and QUICK!


**L** Use 1% or skim milk

P.S. I ALWAYS double this...ALWAYS! Then I keep the batter in the fridge and PRESTO: breakfast.




P.P.S.  Stay tuned for the absolute BEST buttermilk syrup recipe EVER!!!  I'll post it next...its a gift from my friend Sara to me...and me to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment