Friday, May 4, 2012

Conference idea and April Fools tricks for tomorrow





This is just a really quick post about tomorrow. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Many people know that in the time of Jesus Christ, we had Prophets and apostles, but they don't know that today, we still have a prophet and apostles. We have a weekend every six months when we get to hear the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson and the 12 apostles, and other church leaders speak to us on inspired topics. They are amazing, life-changing talks. If you would like to listen, please click here: LDS conference April 2012 and you can watch it live...you can also listen to the talks from yesterday. Now...conference is wonderful, inspiring, uplifting and life-changing for me...but for my kids...not so. I finally found a way to make them listen! See all the baggies? I'm actually not going to use all those baggies, but you get the idea. Pick 3 or 4 of them, fill them with candy and when they hear one of the words, they get a piece of candy. It works awesome! They listen amazingly well and actually pay attention to conference! If you want them to have less candy, make them do tallies and maybe when they hit three of the same word, they get a piece, and so on. You can taylor it for your family, but my kids LOVED this!!! And...I liked paying attention because my kids were occupied.

On to April Fools Day...which is also tomorrow. I made these chicken nuggets with this recipe:
Faux Chicken Nuggets and the sushi with this recipe: Sweet Sushi and I cut the bottoms of fruit cocktail cans (leaving a tiny bit in tact), emptied them and rinsed them out and filled them with candy...I can't wait for my kiddos to open it up! Tomorrow morning, I'm going to cook up some jello, pour it into cups and stick a straw in and refrigerate...then for lunch, we'll have some "juice" with our chicken nuggets and sushi!!! Fun, huh!!!

Note: For next year, during conference, we'll always have puzzles, blocks and legos out for younger kids to play quietly in the same room. That worked well this year when my two-year-old had honestly had all he could take of sitting and listening to conference. Also, you can use the candy as bargaining chips...take a few away for irreverant behavior...add a few for good behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment