Monday, April 30, 2012

Apple Chips







































And...another post that truly gets my apple-hating two-year-old devouring those tart, crisp fruits!  These were gone before my older kids even got home.  I took a class once that talked about the nutrition equivalence of dehydrated foods, versus fresh foods.  Dehydrated foods actually had almost ALL of the nutritional value of the fresh foods!  So...do I feel bad about drying these apples out and sprinkling a light layer of cinnamon sugar...HECK NO!


Here are the directions:

Slice apples very thin. Lay on parchment paper that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with a light coat of cinnamon/sugar mixture (2 T sugar 1 tsp. cinnamon is the ratio I use). Bake in 200 degree oven for about two hours. Remove from oven and let them get crisp. Watch how fast they vanish!

P.S. It seems to me, the thinner I make them, the quicker they disappear. I like to use a mandolin because I can control how thin they are and it goes SO MUCH FASTER!!! I got mine from Pampered Chef...it is The Ultimate Mandoline. They are kind of expensive, but I hosted a party and got it for free!


P.P.S.  I soon will have a post from the author of the blog, Cooking With My Food Storage...so stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment