Monday, March 19, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
























I saw a recipe for these on Pinterest...my new favorite place to waste significant amounts of time on the internet. Anyway, I decided to try these with my all-time favorite whole wheat pancake recipe and all I have to say is "WOW". There really isn't another word because when you combine fluffy whole wheat pancakes with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and then top with a thin layer of icing...what else would you say. You might say, "that doesn't really sound like a healthy breakfast". And...you might be right because once you top those pancakes with frosting, what's underneath doesn't matter quite as much. However, when you remember that what is underneath is a pancake made from whole wheat flour...you don't feel quite so bad. Just think of it as a healthy alternative to a cinnamon roll...that helps with the justifying part. Anyway, I figure, I can make these for holiday mornings and thrill the souls of my troops and not feel too bad about it because compared to what they might normally eat on a holiday morning...we are still doing alright!

I used this recipe for the pancakes: it is my all-time favorite pancake batter: Nana's Light and Fluffy Pancakes

Then, in another container, I melted 3 T butter. I stirred in 1/2 C brown sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Then, I poured this mixture into a squeeze bottle (you can use any type of squeeze bottle). Pour your pancake batter onto a hot griddle and squeeze the brown sugar mixture in a swirl pattern (if you want...you can also just do dots of the brown sugar mixture all over and that is a little easier). Bake until golden brown, on both sides. Top with your favorite frosting. I used this cream cheese frosting that I used in this recipe: Pumpkin pillows with Cream Cheese Frosting. You will want to make WAY less of this frosting, though. I just used some I already had leftover in the fridge because this makes A LOT! Yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment