Friday, April 30, 2010

Saturday Morning Breakfast (a great way to start the day!)














Nana's Light and Fluffy Pancakes
**V**
**L**

1 ½-2 C whole wheat flour, sifted
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ C brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 ½ C milk
2 T oil

Heat the griddle. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Separate the eggs. Beat the egg yolks, milk and oil. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until it forms soft peaks when the beaters are lifted. Beat the yolk mixture until thoroughly blended. Add the yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and blend. Fold in the egg whites. Bake on a hot, greased griddle. Serves about 4 people, depending on the size of the pancakes. I usually double it because my family devours it.

Note: I make about six times the amount of the dry ingredients and keep it in my refrigerator for quick access to pancakes. Then, when I want to make pancakes in a hurry, I get 1 ½ C of the dry mix and then mix in the yolk mixture. I beat this really well to get rid of any settled chunks of brown sugar and then fold in the egg whites...it is great and QUICK!

**L** Use 1% or skim milk

4 comments:

  1. I think this is the same pancake recipe I got from you in Denver and we LOVE it!!! So light and good. Makes me want to make it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is ALMOST the same. I like them a little sweeter now...and with a little more flour. I have tons of pancake recipes now and waffles and LOTS of breakfast stuff...I love a hot breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are a family favorite for us! I always make a double batch and my kids eat them hot or cold for a snack! They lone them and it taked 10 seconds to make breakfst (when reheating). :) Thanks for the great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made these today and they were absolutely WONDERFUL! My entire family loved them. They are my new favorite pancake recipe. They are more work than the typical pancake because of the egg whites but so worth it!!! I think I will make lots of dry mixture without brown sugar and add the brown sugar with the egg yolk mixture in the future.

    ReplyDelete