Monday, February 27, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies



Okay, do you know why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Well, when Patrick was 16, he was supposedly kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken as a slave to Ireland. God came to him in a dream and told him to get to the coast where there would be a ship waiting to take him to Britain. He returned to Britain and began studying to be a priest. He returned to Ireland as a bishop and began his task of converting the people from Polytheism to Christianity. Used the "shamrock" to show the Holy Trinity...Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost. Isn't that cool?

I love holidays. I have a confession, at the end of February, I'd already started making St. Patrick's Day treats. Yes, I am one of those people who rushes holiday and I'm proud to own that fact. Its fun, alright. Holidays are fun and when you have really fun activities to do that make your kids so excited that they squeal, well, life is pretty fun.

This recipe is SO easy! I found a similar one on pinterest and changed it so I thought it would be a bit better. I've actually made this recipe three times now. Yep, three times. I bought one of those bulk Krusteaz sugar cookies mixes at Costco over Christmas, so this recipe is seriously a snap. Nope, it doesn't have any whole grains, at all. But it is easy and it is fun and sometimes over the holidays, I do a few treats without whole grains. This is one of those times. So, if you want some fun holiday ideas for St. Patty's Day, check out these fun recipes. If you want whole grain recipes, check out my posts between my fun holiday posts!!!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2 C Krusteaz sugar cookie mix (I got mine from Costco in bulk) or 1 packet of pre-made cookie mix such as Betty Crocker, Krusteaz, etc.
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 egg
5 drops green food coloring (you can use a little more if you want it greener)
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together sugar cookie mix, butter, peppermint, egg and food coloring Stir in chocolate chips. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 9-11 minutes or until base of cookie is very light golden brown. Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet. Enjoy!!!


P.S. Remember my post about Flour Sack Towels? Well, I have an awesome new tip and it uses these towels! I have TONS of scratched DVDs that were not longer able to be watched. It really saddened me, but I didn't get rid of them. Thanks heavens! I looked online and found out that if you use cheap dusting spray (with wax...I think most cheap kinds have wax...mine was $1) and spray it on and then use one of my favorite towels, or another lint-free kind, and wipe in strokes out from the middle, all over the DVD, it will totally fix them and allow them to work!!! The wax fills in the scratches and, although you can still see them, the DVD totally works!!! Hooray for information on the internet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment