Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pears, Pears and More Pears


Truly, is anyone luckier than me??? You may think, "why yes, I believe I am luckier than her", but let me contradict that thought by telling you that I am the luckiest girl ever. My sister-in-law's mother, that's right...sister-in-law's mother, brought over probably 50 organic pears from her pear tree! We have been eating pears like crazy and loving every second of it. I made pear butter and a pear tart that was awesome! I'll give you the recipe I used for the pear tart, with one small caveat...you need to serve a lot of people with it or you might just end up eating 4-5 slices, like a friend of mine who was visiting the evening we ate it. This is delicious served piping hot with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Now, tell me...how many of you have a sister-in-law's mother that would bring you 50 organic, freshly-picked pears? None of you...that's what I thought...the award for luckiest girl goes to...me!

Pear Tart


6-8 pears, pealed, cored and sliced lengthwise

3/4 C sugar

1 1/4 C freshly-ground whole wheat flour

1/4 C butter

1/4 C milk

2 eggs

1/4 tsp. salt


Mix together butter, eggs, sugar and milk. Add in whole wheat flour and salt. Mix together until thoroughly blended. Stir in pealed, sliced pears. Pour into greased 9X9 pan. Cover and refrigerate for several hours. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.


P.S. The pear butter was amazing, too, if you want that recipe, just email me at suziessweetwheat@gmail.com. If enough people want the recipe, I'll post it, if not, I'll just respond to individual emails.

1 comment:

  1. I happen to know Suzie's sister-in-law's mother and she is a delightful, sweet lady... After her daughter married my son, we became friends... I mean we REALLY DID become friends! She is one of my best friends! How lucky am I to be friends with my son's in-laws? Actually... my whole family is friends with her! (We love her husband too.) We are blessed to share some wonderful grandchildren... and there is no competition... we just all love those children as much as is humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete