Sunday, October 2, 2011

Grilled pizza...my new favorite!

I've been hearing about grilled pizza for a while now. I thought to myself, how can grilled pizza be so much better than pizza baked in an oven? Why all the "hype" over this grilled pizza? I decided to try it out, just for kicks and oh...my...gosh, I don't think I'll eat it any other way from now on! To be honest, I burned the first one...I was really sad. The second one, however, was DELICIOUS! The crust was perfectly crispy and chewy at the same time! It was so good! If you've never had grilled pizza before, You HAVE to try this! I'll give out my recipe for my garden-fresh pizza that I made last year, when I had a garden, that actually sprouted and grew vegetables. I took the picture last year, so it wasn't with my new grilled-to-perfection crust.

Grilled Pizza


Use this dough recipe from my other cookbook:


1⁄2 C lukewarm water

2 T yeast

3 T sugar

Mix above ingredients and set aside for about 5 minutes.


1T salt

1/3 C oil

2 C lukewarm water

5-8 C sifted whole wheat flour

1 T dough enhancer (optional, available at health food stores)

1 T gluten (optional, available at health food stores)


Mix salt, oil, 3 C of flour, dough enhancer, gluten and water together. Add yeast mixture. Add whole wheat flour 1⁄2 C at a time until dough is just not sticky, DON'T add too much flour. Knead dough for about 8-10 minutes, making sure that dough is pliable, and is not sticky. Place dough in large, greased bowl and let rise for about an hour, punching down and kneading briefly every 10 minutes. Preheat grill for about 15 minutes on medium heat. Roll dough into four large pizzas. Brush top surface with olive oil. Get all pizza toppings ready and in place near the grill. The toppings will have to be placed on the pizza VERY quickly. Place it on the grill. Watch it closely, making sure it doesn't get burned…it will only cook for about 2-3 minutes. Using metal tongs, flip the pizza over to grill the other side. Add your toppings quickly and close the grill for another 2-3 minutes of baking. Pull it out and serve. Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment