Monday, September 12, 2011

Minestrone













I was asked recently if I had a good minestrone recipe and yes, I do. This recipe came from my friend Jill. I used whole wheat egg noodles this time and I added an extra can of green beans and kidney beans. It is so good and just perfect for fall AND my kids LOVED it!!! All those veggies...and my kids asking for more...does it get better than that??? This is straight out of my cookbook and is wonderful served with the Quick and Easy Buttery Rolls found in the cookbook. Enjoy!

Minestrone **V** (CR)

1⁄2 C olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 C diced onions

1 C diced celery

1 C thinly sliced carrots

1 C chopped cabbage

1 C diced tomatoes

1 can green beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can petite diced tomatoes

1⁄4 C wheat berries, cooked and cooled

41⁄2 C chicken broth

6 C beef broth

1 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp basil

2 tsp oregano

1⁄2 C tomato puree salt and pepper to taste

1⁄2 C whole wheat macaroni (or whole wheat penne)

Parmesan cheese


Saute onions, carrots and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and cook until garlic is cooked, but not browned. Add to crockpot and add all other ingredients, except pasta. Cook on low heat for 2-4 hours to blend flavors. Thirty minutes before serving, add whole wheat pasta. Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Serve with Quick and Easy Buttery Rolls or Deliciously Moist Whole Wheat Rolls. Serves about 10 people.

**V** Substitute chicken broth and beef broth with vegetable broth

No comments:

Post a Comment