Friday, September 10, 2010

Alegria





Here is a neat activity you can do with your kids with amaranth (which you can buy at health food stores). This is a Mexican treat that is kind of easy to make and actually relatively healthy. All of my kids loved it, except for my pickiest one. Your kids will think it is fun to watch the amaranth pop. But...the syrup gets VERY hot...don't let them touch it!!! The first picture shows the popping amaranth. The white stuff is the popped amaranth, the brown is unpopped. You will NOT get it all to pop (at least I never have). Oh, by the way, I know I didn't make it pretty...I just flattened it and let my kids eat it. It would have been cuter if I'd used a cookie cutter or something...but I'm not that cute...I'm more the functional type.


Alegria

2 T amaranth
2 T real maple syrup

Heat a skillet over high heat for at least five minutes. It needs to be VERY hot. Pour in 2 T amaranth. Use a rubber spatula to move amaranth around continually. It will start popping and will turn white. You want to pop it until most of it is white. Then, remove the skillet from the heat and gently shake skillet to continue stirring. Set aside. Heat maple syrup in a sauce pan over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Continue to boil and stir for a few minutes…don’t let it burn!!! Remove maple syrup from heat and stir with popped amaranth. Use the back of a spoon to flatten it (the syrup is too hot to touch!!!). Let it cool and break into pieces. Let your kids devour this whole grain treat!!!

We have soccer tomorrow morning and life gets really crazy when soccer starts!!! So, to my Insiders...check tonight for some instructions so tomorrow morning goes smoothly for your family as well as mine!!!
Just for the Insiders:
You need:


3 slices whole wheat bread
1 C cheddar cheese
6 eggs
¼ tsp salt
1 lb. breakfast sausage (comes in a roll)
2 C milk

Oh, and Insiders...I'm going to be giving specific instructions for the bagels, donuts and cinnamon rolls coming up...so stay tuned.

For the rest of you...I have some other really fun recipes coming up, so keep checking!!! I made a S'mores dessert that was delicious and, of course, 100% whole wheat!!! I've also got some soup recipes for those crisp fall days.

No comments:

Post a Comment