Monday, June 21, 2010

Pureed Wheat Berries???

















Really...pureed wheat berries? This is a technique I had never heard of, but had to try with my family and it WORKED! Because of the nutritional value of wheat berries, I thought I needed to try to give them to my kids. However, although my kids are great at eating wheat berries in soups with corn, where there is no texture difference, trying to throw them in other foods was not acceptable to my kids.

So...I tried this and it worked GREAT! I now can put pureed wheat berries in smoothies, creamy soups, cheesy casseroles and just about everything else! Why would you do this??? Because high-fiber diets are being recommended by every health professional out there!!! Why not add "natural" fiber and protein to everything your family is eating???

Pureed wheat berries:
Cook wheat berries until they split, or are very large and soft. The softer they are, the less you will notice the texture. Use approximately 1:1 ratio of wheat berries to water and blend in blender or food processor. This is a great alternative for those who dislike the taste and texture of wheat berries. It is tasteless and there is no texture difference. These are great for creamy soups, smoothies, creamy sauces and other areas where texture would be noticed and unappreciated. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This is good for up to six days and can be tossed in any recipe you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment