Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Red Lentil Enchiladas (version 2)



Here is another version of Baked Lentil Enchiladas that we liked just as much.  Why would I make a recipe so similar to another one I have?  Well, I found out while I was already half-way into the recipe, that I didn't have green enchilada sauce.  I DID, however, have red enchilada sauce.  So, I poured a can of that instead into the crockpot.  I then decided, after it was all cooked, that a creamy touch of sour cream would probably top off the meal with perfection and guess what...WE LOVED IT!  So, no matter what kind of enchilada sauce you have stocked, these are great!!!

Baked Lentil Enchiladas (version 2)

1/4 C finely chopped onions
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 C red lentils, rinsed
4 C vegetable or chicken broth (I use chicken broth, but vegetarians, will prefer vegetable broth)
2-10 oz. cans red enchilada sauce (I like medium)
1/4 C sour cream
cheese (as desired)
10-12 whole wheat tortillas

Finely chop onions and jalapeno and put in crockpot.  Rinse lentils and put in crockpot.  Add chicken broth.  Cook on low in the crockpot for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally.  Add 1 can red enchilada sauce.  Stir in sour cream.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 13X9 pan with cooking spray.   Spoon into whole wheat tortillas and roll up and place in prepared pan. Pour the other can of enchilada sauce over the rolled enchiladas.  Grate cheese and sprinkle as much as desired over enchiladas.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment