Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wild Rice Chicken Soup


I found this wonderful soup recipe on another website and thought I'd try it out. I'm not sure if people are aware, but you can totally thicken soups and gravies with whole wheat. Its true! If you don't believe me, try it out! I do it all the time. Anyway, I was going to try this recipe, with some changes for my own family and I found flour in it! Well, what do you know...there can be whole wheat in this after all!




2 1/4 C cooked wild rice (cook this ahead of time so it is ready to throw in the soup)
1/2 C butter
1 C frozen corn
1/4 C onion, chopped finely
1/2 C celery
1/2 - 1 C carrots
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 1 lb.)
3/4 C whole wheat flour
6 C chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Madras yellow curry powder
2 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 C milk

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add vegetables and chicken and saute until chicken is cooked throughout and vegetables are somewhat tender (they won't be completely tender, but don't worry). I sauteed mine for about 15 minutes to get the veggies pretty tender. (If your skillet isn't large enough to hold the broth, you may need to transfer the chicken/veggie mixture to a large sauce pan now). Add whole wheat flour and stir into veggies. Add the chicken broth and spices, stirring constantly and bring mixture to a boil. Pour in rice and stir to evenly distribute. Stir and boil until the broth begins to thicken. Stir in milk and bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Stir the soup periodically to make sure the veggies and rice do not sink to the bottom and burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment