Friday, February 3, 2012

Home-made Oatmeal





























































As I promised, here are the pictures of my home-rolled oats and oatmeal! You start with oat groats...what are oat groats? If you haven't checked my blog a lot, you may not know. Some grains, (i.e. barley, oats) have hulls that must be removed before we can eat them. The whole grain - the hull = groats. So, you start with the groats, which I got for .89 a pound!!! Talk about cheap! (Once you buy the machines required for whole grain cooking...you make up the money so fast!!!) You pour the groats into the machine, crank it up and out come your rolled oats! The cool thing is, you can adjust the size of the rolled oats. So, if you don't have a lot of time, roll them very thin and you have quick oats (what I made this morning before school). If you have more time, roll them thick and cook them longer...SO COOL!!! And...they aren't processed, so all the vitamins and minerals are fresh as can be!!!! I have the Marga Mulino Flaker. Oh...another cool thing...it doesn't just roll oats! Tomorrow, I'll try wheat and let you know how that goes! The possibilities are limitless!


Oh, and yes, that is my four-year-old grinding the oats...as you can tell it is REALLY hard to grind ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment