Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Baked Potato Soup...mmmm


























































Believe it or not...this is another new post. I know, I know, its been a while. I just had to get back into cooking again. Does that ever happen to you? My family really loved this soup and I've had to make it a few times per request since the first time. You can substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt if that is what you have on hand, but I MUCH prefer the yogurt...it is higher in protein and lower in calories. This soup is hearty, delicious and full of whole grains.


The pictures show just how chunky and thick this soup is. They also show how much my kids LOVE it!


Baked Potato Soup


5-6 potatoes (I used large red potatoes, but medium russet potatoes work, too)

1/4 C butter (melted)

1/2 C whole wheat flour

6 C milk

1 1/2 - 2 1/2 tsp. salt (or as desired)

1 1/2 C cheddar cheese

1/3 C plain, nonfat Greek yogurt

1/4 - 1/2 C cooked and chopped bacon (or as desired...my family likes bacon a lot!)


Wash potatoes under water and prick all over with a fork. Bake in 400 degree oven for about an hour or until soft. Let potatoes cool for about 1/2 hour and then scoop out pulp, discarding potato skin. Mash pulp with a fork until chunks are much smaller. Mix 1/4 C of flour with butter over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk together 1/4 C whole wheat flour and 6 C of milk and then add to butter/flour mixture. Stir on high heat until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat and stir in mashed potato pulp, whisking until uniformly distributed. Stir in yogurt, bacon and cheese. Add salt and pepper as desired.


Optional toppings:


more bacon

more cheese

chopped green onions


P.S. Thanks to those of you buying my cookbooks! I really appreciate it and hope you love it as much as I do!

P.P.S. I have a TON of recipes for another cookbook and as soon as I get on the wagon again, I may just get the next one published.

No comments:

Post a Comment