Monday, February 6, 2012

Applesauce Bread


This is a simple, yummy bread that can be sweeter, less sweet, chunkier, fruitier or just plain, unfancy and delicious. I have one child that has a hollow leg...well, not really, its just that I don't know where she puts all of her food. She eats ALL the time and is so skinny! She gets this mildly annoying (if you are the person who has to always watch what you eat) trait from my husband. Anyway, what I hear every day when she returns from school is, "Mom, I'm starving!" Today, I thought to myself, "Why not have something ready ahead of time for her to eat while she is doing her homework so I can bypass the, "what do you want?" followed by my rattling off a list of things she "doesn't" want. So, this is my solution for today...fruit, whole grains, greek yogurt (protein). I'm not going to say its "healthy", but it is only 170 calories per slice if you cut each loaf into 13 slices, and those are nice-sized slices. So...we'll take it! Oh, I've made it sweeter and I've also made it with 1/4 C less sugar and it was well-received by my kids both times. You can doctor this up by adding in 1 C of raisins, or craisins, or walnuts, etc. As you know, I'm not a fan of any odd textures in my bread, so we make it plain.

Applesauce Bread

3 C whole wheat flour
3 eggs
1 3/4 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar (optional...this is the sweeter version and of course...how we love it)
3/4 C vegetable oil
2 1/4 C no sugar added applesauce (it will be sugary if you get applesauce with sugar, but as a sugar-lover, I'm sure it would be delicious!)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmet
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C Greek yogurt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Grease 2 bread pans and pour batter equally into each bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

This might be very delicious with a cinnamon chunky applesauce...haven't tried it yet, but it sure sounds good to me! If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment