Tuesday, November 1, 2011

mmmm....the sweet aroma of pumpkin...


DSC_3431.JPG.jpg
We had snow today...yep...how great is that for kicking off the Thanksgiving holiday??? I was thrilled, of course I'm pretty much a snow-lovin' gal, so I was particularly thrilled when I watched the rain the morning transform into a wet a heavy snow right before my eyes. So...I thought I'd post one of my favorite recipes. I posted this last year, but it deserves a repeat performance because it is good. These are pumpkin pie bars and they are scrumptious. I love them...seriously. Why did I not make them...well, first and foremost...I ate too many Reese's peanut butter cups last night. What does that have to do with pumpkin pie bars you ask??? Well, I have now entered into a pact with my sister-in-law to avoid sweets until Thanksgiving. Will I be making sweets anyway...yes, as tortuous as it will be, I will not deprive the rest of my family....but today, as I kick off my agonizing no-sweets journey...I will refrain from tempting myself...(as if the 400 packs of candy my kids brought home won't be hard enough to refrain from!)

So, for those of you out there still enjoying life...here you go!

Oh...FYI...pumpkin facts for those interested:

In one cup of mashed pumpkin, you get 11% of your daily fiber, 19% of your vitamin C, 8% of your iron, 4% of your calcium and 245% of your daily needs for Vitamin A!!! So...if you are looking for the healthiest alternative for a dessert...always pick the pumpkin one!!!


Pumpkin Pie Bars


1 1/3 C whole wheat flour (doesn’t have to be sifted)
2/3 C oatmeal
2/3 C butter, softened
3/2 C brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put above ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands, squishing until mixture is crumbly and butter is evenly distributed. Pat 2 ½ C of mixture into the bottom of a greased 13X9 pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

While above mixture is baking, mix the following ingredients for one minute.

¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
¾ tsp cinnamon
¾ C sugar
1 can evaporated milk
2 eggs
2 C pumpkin

After 10 minutes of baking, remove 13X9 pan with crust from the oven. Reduce heat to 350 on the oven. Pour the pumpkin mixture over the crust and put back in the oven for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, open the oven and sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar/flour mixture over the pumpkin. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment