Friday, September 9, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Bake


Am I the only one suffering from "my life is completely out of control because of soccer" syndrome? I now have three kids playing games on Saturday. That amounts to sheer craziness. To make it easier, I like to make breakfast the night before. I like anything that makes my life a little simpler in the mornings. This recipe accomplishes two important tasks. It takes care of breakfast AND fills my house with the necessary scent of pumpkin. Who needs candles, right? Be careful, if you add a little bit of whipped cream to this, your kids might just think they're eating dessert for breakfast. ;)



Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Bake

10-12 slices whole wheat bread (cubed) I used 12
2 C canned pumpkin puree (I'm sure a 15 oz. can would work, too)
3/4 C white sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-12 oz. can evaporated milk
6 eggs

Grease a 13X9 pan. Cube bread into approx. 1 in. cubes. Evenly fill 13X9 pan. Mix the rest of the ingredients thoroughly with an electric mixer. Pour over bread cubes making sure to coat each cube of bread. Cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove foil and bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve hot with whipped cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment