Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Can it really be healthy AND delicious???


YES! I found this salad on a blog and it is absolutely delicious. My mom got something called Bountiful Baskets and it included TWO CRATES of mangoes!!! What do you do with two crates of mangoes??? That is too many mangoes for any family to consume...unless you make this salad for every gathering coming up, which is what I did. I changed quite a few things in this salad from the first time I made it and now it is absolutely divine. We ate it three times this week! I took it to my sister's son's baptism, our family ate it one night when we had guests in town and I took it to a get-together last night...it got rave reviews every single night! My sister actually made it last night for her family, too. So, here is the recipe...enjoy!

Mango Salad
1 C uncooked quinoa

1 can vegetable broth

15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 large red bell pepper, diced

2-3 mangoes, peeled and diced (I like a lot of mango!)

4 green onions, sliced

4 T red wine vinegar

2 T olive oil

2 T lime juice

1/2 tsp. salt


Stir together quinoa and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Remove heat and cover. Let steam in pot for about 5 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and liquid is gone...DON'T LET IT BURN!!! Cool. Stir together diced bell pepper, black beans, diced mangoes, sliced green onions and cooled quinoa. Stir in vinegar, olive oil, lime juice and salt. Chill for about 30 minutes to an hour.


P.S. In this picture, I actually left out the black beans, but I prefer it with the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment