Thursday, July 21, 2011

Snacks...



So, Smiths had a bunch of snack crackers on sale and I bought tons of them! We've taken them on our picnics, to amusement parks, to church, you name it, these snack crackers have gone with us. The one problem with these snack crackers is that they are in no way healthy. They don't even claim to have ANY whole grains, let alone 100% whole grains. This, again, started to cause digestion issues with my children. YUCK! However, I am pleased to announce that yesterday I solved this problem....enter Cinnamon Graham Snack Crackers. Three of my four children LOVE these and I took them to a barbecue last night and even the adults thoroughly enjoyed these little morsels! My husband loved them, I loved them and so did my mom. I only had one daughter that wasn't a huge fan, so I think those are pretty good odds! So, here is the recipe...happy snacking!!!


Cinnamon Graham Snack Crackers

(can also be used to make graham crackers and then crushed for graham cracker crumbs)


2 C graham flour (coarsely ground whole wheat flour)

1 1/4 C finely ground whole wheat flour

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 C unsalted butter chilled

1/2 C brown sugar

1/3 C honey

1/4 C molasses

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 C milk

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

cinnamon sugar for dusting


Mix together flours, baking powder and baking soda. Pulse in food processor until mixture is thoroughly mixed and crumbly. Stir in brown sugar, honey, molasses, vanilla, milk and cinnamon. Chill for 45 minutes to an hour. Pinch off sections of the dough about 2 in. in diameter and place on parchment paper. I do about four dough balls at a time. Return the other dough to the refrigerator. Place a piece of parchment paper over the top of the dough balls and roll out to about 1/8 in. thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut into desired shapes, either cracker-sized or graham cracker sized. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 mintues. (12 minutes makes mine perfect) Do NOT over or under bake! They will harden as they sit and should get hard enough to feel like a "typical" graham cracker.


No comments:

Post a Comment