Sunday, July 24, 2011

I'm supposed to bring what???











So, my brother and sister-in-law are blessing their super-sweet, super-cute new baby on Sunday. He is so precious. There is going to be a little get-together after the blessing. My husband took the call and asked what we could bring and my brother-in-law said we could bring some lemon-poppyseed muffins or bread...hmmm...that is not a recipe in my repertoire of whole wheat recipes. What to do??? Well, I could just find a recipe with white flour and take it in with my head hung low as the "whole wheat gal" succumbs to the white flour world...OR I could attempt six different times to come up with the perfect lemon-poppyside muffin recipe. Well, I decided to do the latter and I'm so glad I did. With all the frustration and work it required, it was worth it. I now have an absolutely delicious lemon-poppyseed muffin AND bread recipe. After eating one of my orange-glazed lemon-poppyseed muffins, my brother asked, "Do you want me to tell you the truth or just say 'They're good.' " I said, "tell me the truth." He said with a nod, "They're good!" My kids love them, my husband loves them and I love them. Not many recipes can withstand that group of critics! I'll give the muffin recipe first and then the directions specific for the bread later.

Orange-Glazed Lemon-Poppyseed Muffins


1 C milk

4 oz. cream cheese, softened

1 C sugar

1/4 C + 2 T vegetable oil

2 eggs

2 tsp. lemon extract

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 C whole wheat flour (I like to use freshly ground)

1 T baking powder

3/4 tsp. salt

1-2 T poppy seeds (as desired…I use 1 T)


Let cream cheese sit on counter for about one hour to soften. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cream cheese, oil, eggs, sugar, salt and milk to a large mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Add extracts and mix. Add in whole wheat flour and baking powder and mix to combine. Stir in poppy seeds. Bake in greased muffin tins for 14-16 minutes, or until top springs back when touched. Makes about 24 muffins.


Glaze with:


5 T orange juice

1 C powdered sugar

orange zest to taste


Mix above three ingredients and glaze cooled muffins.


Note: If using paper liners, you may have to bake muffins a few minutes longer


No comments:

Post a Comment