Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Dieter's Dream...a Low-Calorie Delicious Cookie


Can it be so? Most cookies that are low-calorie are either made with nasty sugar-free ingredients or don't have any real flavor. They most DEFINITELY don't have chocolate chips and "rich" is never a word used to describe them. Well, I am currently trying to shed just a few pounds for a race for which I am training. (I just think it would be nice to run with a few less pounds to tote across the finish line). Well, I'm not great at this "dieting" thing, but I have found a few tricks that help a TON. First of all, obviously, eating whole grains helps because of the fiber load. I've also started using the most fabulous weight-loss website: myfitnesspal.com. It is absolutely incredible and everyone I know doing it is losing significant weight or is now maintaining their weight with it because they have already reached their goals. The third thing I've found that helps is finding a recipe that allows me to feel like I'm getting my "sweets, treats and eats" fix. I love finding recipes that make me feel like I'm really treating myself, but without all the guilt. I've finally come up with the perfect "treat" for a dieter who LOVES chocolate and just can't begin to imagine parting with it. It took MANY tries to get this right and I owe some of the credit to my sister for finally getting the flour amount right. Okay...is it all whole wheat, no, but once you see the calorie count, you'll see why I'm okay with allowing just a smidgin of white flour into my life...just this once.

Moist and Chewy Fudge Brownie Cookies


1 Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix

2 eggs

1/4 C oil

1/4 C applesauce

1 C whole wheat flour (doesn't have to be sifted)

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients, stirring in chocolate chips last. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes to let the batter thicken. Bake by rounded teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. Bake 7-9 minutes 350. Makes about 60 cookies (1 inc. balls) using a small scoop.


I ALWAYS use Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix because each brownie box has different amounts of ingredients and they all turn out differently. So, for consistency, I always use Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix. Oh..a GREAT variation, thanks to my sister, is to add mint chocolate chips...mmmmmm. Eat them warm and they are divine.


So...now for the calorie count that makes this delicious, chewy morsel one of the best dieting treats ever. If you can get sixty cookies out of this batch (using the small scoop or 1 in. balls, this will work), the calorie count is.....




56 CALORIES PER COOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


now you know my secret...


No comments:

Post a Comment