Friday, November 26, 2010

Let's Welcome in the Christmas Season!!!


This is my favorite time of year. Its my favorite time for baking, shopping, watching movies, cooking, hanging out with family, playing games, etc. Honestly, this really is my favorite time of the year. I like to keep my kitchen stocked with goodies for everyone that stops by and I LOVE to take things around to neighbors. Last year, I took around mini-loaves of pumpkin chocolate chip bread (pg. 68). We are in charge of a Christmas party breakfast coming up and for that, I'll be making Applesauce Muffins (pg. 65) and maybe some Streusel-Coated Pumpkin Muffins (66) and the Sausage and Egg Casserole (pg. 25). I LOVE to have goodies for my family, but its so much more fun for me, when I know the goodies are made of whole grains. So, why am I telling you all of this...well, because I have a few recipes I'll give out that are NOT in my cookbook that are perfect for the holidays. I am also considering doing a few YOYO recipes. A YOYO recipe is one, like the Thanksgiving post, where I put them out there and then pull them back. So...you better check often to find the YOYO recipes.

Here is one of my all-time favorite cookie recipes and this one is not in my book, but will be in my next one:


Mint Chocolate Cookies 
 


¾ C butter

1 ½ C packed brown sugar

2 T milk

2 C chocolate chips (1 C semi-sweet and 1 C milk chocolate)

2 eggs
2
¾ cups finely ground and sifted whole wheat flour

1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt
40 Andes mints



Put butter, brown sugar and milk in a sauce pan. Melt over low heat until butter is completely melted. Add chocolate chips and stir over low heat for about 30 seconds or until chocolate starts to melt and mixture begins to turn brown. Remove from heat and stir constantly until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Let chocolate mixture cool for at least 15 minutes. Add one egg and beat at high speed for one minute. Add the other egg and beat at high speed for one more minute. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix at high speed for about 2 minutes. Refrigerate dough for about 20-30 minutes (cover with foil first). Drop by tablespoons on a greased cookie sheet. Spray cooking spray on the bottom of a glass and flatten each cookie. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven. Put one Andes mint (or half if you desire less chocolate) on each warm cookie. When Andes mint has melted, use the back of a spoon to spread the melted chocolate all over the top of the warm cookie. Let cookies cool for at least 15-20 minutes before transferring. Makes about 40 large cookies.


What to do with all of that turkey...Insiders...check out the Turkey Soup Continental...you won't be disappointed! For added fiber and health benefits...add the wheat berry puree...don't feel like boiling the wheat and pureeing it...leave it out. Either way, it is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment