Friday, October 8, 2010

Okay...those were "to die for"...


I did it...I made the whole wheat eclairs and they were SOOO GOOD!!! I'll post the recipe soon, but I thought they might be a little more fun to post around the holidays (not Halloween) because they are so festive and fancy and delicious. They would make a perfect dessert for a holiday party. So...stay tuned for those. I'm going to be making a chocolate chip cookie dessert that should be wonderful, too. I'll let you know how that one goes, too. For now, I thought I'd post the crab quiche. It actually uses imitation crab, but you can't really tell. My family loved this one and it was full of fiber. My husband especially loved it...along with both my mom and my dad. There were no leftovers with this one. So...here you go!!!

Cheesy Crab Quiche

Here are the instructions for a wonderful whole wheat pie crust. Make the crust then follow the rest of the instructions to finish up the quiche!!!


1 C + 2 T finely ground and sifted whole wheat flour
½ C shortening (substitute part or all with Butter Flavored Crisco…it is MUCH BETTER!)
1 T cold water
1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sift whole wheat flour twice. Cut shortening, salt, into flour. Add cold water and mix with hand. Put ball of dough between two large pieces of saran wrap and roll in a circle until about 1/8-¼ in. thick. Pat dough into pie pan, and prick with fork every inch of sides and bottom. Bake for 5 minutes and remove from oven. Reduce heat 375 degrees.
Saute the following until soft and set aside:

1 T olive oil
2 T green pepper (finely chopped)
2 T red pepper (finely chopped)
2 T white onion (finely chopped)

Mix the following:

1 ½ C Swiss cheese (shredded) I like Jarlsberg Swiss
Sauted vegetables
4 eggs (beaten)
½ C wheat berry puree
1 C milk
1 tsp salt
1 C imitation crab (chopped)

Pour entire mixture into partially baked pie crust. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.

P.S. If you've forgotten how to make the wheat berry puree...refer to the section titled "How to use your wheat".

Oh...Insiders...stay tuned...I'm going to post some specific instructions for the cinnamon rolls. With the holidays coming up...you're definitely going to want to make these!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment