Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let's Make Granola!!!


























Because I posted my Saturday post later in the day, I'm going to keep this post up for one more day to make sure everyone can see it. Check this out and make granola today!!!

I made a list of foods I would like to try to make out of whole grains and one of the foods I wanted to try was granola. Then, my sister-in-law and I were hanging out and SHE asked if I had a granola recipe. I decided right then that I would try to find a granola recipe that I could make in my home. So, I did some research and experimented with some recipes and finally came up with one that was really quite good! I asked my husband if he liked it as much as the store-bought granola and he said that he liked it MORE!!! It is whole-grain, cheap and easy! The more things I find that I don't have to buy in a store...the more excited I am...and I feel so much more self-sufficient.

By the way, there are a lot of variations to this recipe. I've learned that you can throw whatever you like in your granola to give it your very own twist.


Healthy, Hearty Granola

4 C oats
1 C whole wheat flour (can substitute ½ C with barley flour if you have a wheat grinder)
2 T chopped pecans or almonds (optional…and you can add up to ¼ C)
½ C wheat germ
1/3 C flax seed
1 C honey
½ C oil
1 T vanilla
1 tsp salt
½ - 1 C raisins
2 T brown sugar

Mix oats, both flours, nuts, wheat germ and flaxseed in a bowl. Add honey, oil, vanilla and salt and stir until all ingredients are evenly coated. Bake at 200 degrees for several hours (2 1/2 - 3) . Stir it about every ½ hour or so to make sure it is evenly baked. Check it until you get the consistency you desire. It’s really good if you keep it a little chewy. I take it out when it is still very moist and then let it cool so it is chewy after it cools. Serve with milk or dry as a healthy snack.

Variation: If you like your granola a little sweeter, add a little more brown sugar. You can throw in some chocolate chips or M&Ms and some whole salted almonds for a delicious trail mix!!! You can throw in any kind of dried fruit instead of raisins (chopped, dehydrated apples, dried cranberries, craisins).

1 comment: