Saturday, June 5, 2010
Grandma Patty's Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies with hints...
My sister informed me that I placed the chocolate chip cookie recipe in a spot that is difficult to find. So, here it is again...with some hints.
1. First of all, if you have a baking stone, USE IT! Stones make the best cookies, flat out. If you don't and you would like one you can find them at kitchen supply stores or online. If, however, you don't want to purchase one, that is fine, too. I just like the texture a little better when cookies are cooked on a stone.
2. The next tip is to bake your cookies until they are just barely firm...I usually bake them for 10-11 minutes and pull them out. Leave them on the cookie sheet for about 15-20 minutes. This will slowly bake them and allow them to cool before transferring. These cookies are SO good!!!
3. Either grind your flour fresh or SIFT it!!! This makes a HUGE difference...if you don't they will be heavier, puffier and not nearly as good!!!
4. Beat the wet ingredients for the stated amount of time.
5. USE WHITE WHEAT!!! If you have it, white wheat works MUCH better for cookies...I MUCH prefer it!!!!
Grandma Patty’s Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 ½ C sifted or freshly ground whole wheat flour
¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 C butter, softened
1 C packed brown sugar
¾ C white sugar
1 T vanilla extract
1 ½ C semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream sugars and butter together. Add vanilla extract and eggs. Beat for three minutes. Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Let cool before transferring. Makes 3-4 dozen, depending on the size of the cookies. The trick is to take them out when they are just barely solid and let them sit on the hot cookie sheet…this will cook them just a little longer. YUM!!!! Remember, if you prefer a dietetic cookie, follow the directions for Grandma Patty's Dietetic Chocolate Chip Cookies.
P.S. I have another whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe that I have on good authority is amazing. I haven't had a chance to try it yet...but I sure am optimistic!!!