Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Baked Lentil Enchiladas

Okay, this was not originally my recipe...but the original recipe, for some reason allowed some crunch to the lentils and my family did not love it.  Because it is so healthy, I decided to try it again and made some changes to the recipe and guess what the major difference was...THE CROCKPOT!!!  Yep, its true!  It was way easier and was made early and ready when we got home from church...and guess what...it had a very consistent texture, with no crunch to the beans, so my family really liked it!!!  I was thrilled!  So, I'm now adding a recipe I had decided wasn't going to work for my family back into my frequently prepared recipe repertoire!  Yay!

P.S.  Sorry the photo doesn't accurately portray the taste of the food...but you get the gist!!!

Baked Lentil Enchiladas

1/4 C finely chopped onions
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 C red lentils, rinsed
4 C vegetable or chicken broth (I use chicken broth, but vegetarians, will prefer vegetable broth)
28 oz. green enchilada sauce
cheese (as desired)
8-10 whole wheat tortillas
salsa
sour cream

Finely chop onions and jalapeno and put in crockpot.  Rinse lentils and put in crockpot.  Add chicken broth.  Cook on low in the crockpot for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally.  Add 1 C green enchilada sauce.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 13X9 pan with cooking spray.   Spoon into whole wheat tortillas and roll up and place in prepared pan. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the rolled enchiladas.  Grate cheese and sprinkle as much as desired over enchiladas.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Serve with salsa and sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment