Thursday, June 23, 2011

Whole Wheat Cornbread



I LOVE cornbread and this cornbread is delicious! The whole pan was devoured in about 45 minutes. I actually had to swat the kids away from it just to save a piece for my husband. The great thing about it is...of course...it is 100% whole wheat. I used to feel like cornbread was like "healthy" cake, until I actually made it and realized it wasn't even "healthy" cake. It was just "cake" that we call "bread" to make us feel better about eating it with our beans and soups. Now, however, although there is a fair amount of sugar in this cornbread, I feel that the whole wheat aspect somewhat levels out the sugar aspect. So, anyway, enough babbling about cornbread...here is the recipe. This is a recipe found in my cookbook...which is temporarily out of stock, but should be back in stock in a few days.


Whole Wheat Cornbread


13⁄4 C whole wheat flour (freshly ground or sifted if previously ground)

3⁄4 C corn meal

1 T baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/3 C butter, softened

3⁄4 C sugar

1 C milk

1⁄2 C buttermilk

2 eggs

1 egg yolk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt together. Cream butter and sugar. Add milk, buttermilk, eggs and yolk to wet ingredients and beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in dry ingredients and beat for about 1 minute on medium speed until well-mixed. Pour into a greased 9X9 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Rub butter all over the hot cornbread.


Fun cornbread tips:


If you don't have cornmeal in your cupboard, which happens to me frequently...you can actually grind unpopped popcorn in your wheat grinder and you have the perfect cornmeal!!!


If you are out of buttermilk, simply put 1/2 C milk and 1/2 T white vinegar in a cup. Mix them and set them aside for about 5 minutes. Add this in place of the buttermilk.


I did both of these last night when making my cornbread and it was fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment