Thursday, May 12, 2011

Multigrain Strawberry Bars


If your family is like my family, this time of year is CRAZY!!! With End of Level tests, end of year programs, soccer practices and games, gymnastics and, this year, marathon training, I need something quick and easy for breakfast. I love these Multigrain Strawberry bars, which taste very similar to Nutrigrain Bars, because they have lots of whole grains, my kids love them, and I can make them the night before and put them in a baggie to take on the run. I figure this is much better than stopping at McDonalds or a donut shop en route to our destination. Anyway, here is the recipe:

Multigrain Strawberry Bars

1/2 C salted butter
1/2 C brown sugar

Cream above ingredients then add:

1/2 C applesauce
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. salt
2 T milk

Mix all above ingredients together, then add:

1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 3/4 C uncooked oats

Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly blended. Pat half of the mixture into a greased 9X9 pan, then add:

1 C strawberry (or any flavor) preserves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Smooth preserves over the entire bottom layer of batter. Take the last half of the batter, bit by bit and flatten it between your hands and lay it over the preserves until it covers the entire preserve layer. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until top is just barely golden brown.

I think I forgot to mention that there are only 218 calories per bar (assuming that you cut them into 15 bars)...not too bad for a breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment