Monday, May 9, 2011

Divine Vegetarian Sandwiches that even Meat-Eaters will Love!!!


I have many people in my life who have given up carnivorous eating habits for a diet that excludes our animal friends. I am not one of those people, but in the summer I do try to eat a primarily vegetarian diet. I really like to eat from my own garden in the summer, but as of right now, we haven't even planted one...that is next weekend's task! My friend Jill, one of my vegetarian friends gave me this recipe and we LOVE it!!! I am growing basil and I was able to use my own, fresh basil for this recipe and it is truly mouth-watering. One little caveat...none of my kids were begging me to make this again. It is primarily an adult meal, at least in my family. They did, however LOVE the baguettes and we made little cheese sandwiches out of them that they really enjoyed.

These recipes are both in the cookbook. The baguettes are found on page 62.

Whole Wheat Baguettes

1 C lukewarm water

1 T sugar

11⁄2 tsp yeast


Mix above ingredients together and let sit for about 7 minutes. While the above mixture is sitting, mix the following:

21⁄4 C whole wheat flour

2 tsp gluten

2 tsp dough enhancer

1 tsp salt


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture and knead for 8-10 minutes. Let rise for about 45-50 minutes on top of preheated oven. Punch down dough. Roll out to approximately 16X12 inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the rectangle in half and roll up each half tightly from one end to the other lengthwise (this is the long way, which will give you the fewest rolls in the bread). Make diagonal slashes in the top of the bread. Let rise for another 45 minutes to an hour on a greased cookie sheet or until dough has doubled in size (slashes will have expanded to give the typical “French bread” look. Mix 1 T water and 1 egg white and brush this mixture lightly on the surface of the loaves. Bake for 20- 25 minutes. Makes 2 loaves of French baguettes.


The Pesto is found on page 107 of the cookbook. You can choose to add the wheat or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.


Smooth Pesto Sauce

1 C packed fresh basil leaves

1⁄4 C olive oil

2 tsp wheat berry puree

1 T red wine vinegar

11⁄2 tsp Dijon mustard

1 clove of garlic, quartered


Blend the above ingredients. Serve with Artichoke Pesto Crostinis and Pesto Chicken Pasta (coming later).

The actual recipe for the Artichoke-Pesto Crostini is on page 29:


Artichoke Pesto Crostini **V**


2-3 loaves of Whole Wheat French Baguettes

Smooth Pesto Sauce

mozzarella cheese tomatoes

marinated artichoke hearts (you can add only a few leaves of the heart or the whole heart...I like the whole thing!)


Cut French bread in slices about 1⁄2 in. thick. Spread pesto on French bread. Layer the mozzarella cheese on top of the bread followed by a tomato slice and an artichoke heart. Top with another piece of French bread, or leave open-faced. These are fabulous as an appetizer OR a meal!

P.S. Can you tell we're tapering now...more time for cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment