Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Apple Spice Chia Muffins


Its been rainy and cold at the Allen house recently. Whenever the weather is like this, I tend to bake and seeing as how I am not running for the next two days due to my tapering schedule, I have the time (and energy) to do it. I don't know about you, but the smell of food is almost as important as the taste. Sounds funny, I know, but I like for my kids to come home and say, "Mom, something smells so good!" I like when my husband walks in and says, "Mmmm, I can't wait to eat." I guess it just makes me feel like our house is more of a "home" does that sound crazy? Oh well, I've never pretended that I don't have a little bit of crazy running through my veins. So, here is an ultra-delicious smelling, super-healthy muffin recipe that will get your kids devouring Chia seeds. By the way, we've also been putting them in green smoothies, talk about loading your kids with antioxidants baby!!! Oh, by the way, I'm down a couple of pounds...some of this is probably due to the fact that I am not swollen from training, but I like to think some of it is due to the appetite-suppressing qualities of my magic little seeds.

So, here it is:

Apple Spice Chia Muffins


2 eggs

1/4 C oil

1/4 C apple butter

1 C milk

1/2 C organic sugar (can use regular granulated sugar, too)

1 3/4 C whole wheat flour

1/4 C barley flour

1 T vanilla

1 T baking powder

2 T chia seeds

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground cloves


Mix all ingredients except chia seeds. Stir in chia seeds. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Makes about 16 muffins.


P.S. This is yet another great on-the-go breakfast and a wonderfully nutritious on-the-go after school snack.

P.P.S There are only about 126 calories in each of these delicious muffins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment