Friday, May 13, 2011

Almond or (Vanilla) Chia Muffins



Curious about how to fit those amazing chia seeds into your diet? See below if you are wondering what I'm talking about. I'm working on coming up with new recipes using chia seeds. Here is a muffin recipe I came up with to add some chia to my family's diet. As I said before, I'll also be adding them to green smoothies, pancakes and a host of other recipes. This recipe also has some buckwheat flour in it. To read about the health benefits of buckwheat, go here:


A couple of notes on this recipe. I like my muffins a little lighter in calories, so if your muffins are a little too dry, add 1-2 T more oil. My kids loved these muffins, but I did sprinkle a little bit of organic sugar on the top when there was about 3-4 more minutes of baking time left. You could spice up this recipe by adding some raspberries or blueberries in as well. One of my kids liked them with a little bit of jelly, the others loved them just the way they were. The coolest thing is that I have one child who is a bottomless pit. She ate one muffin for an after-school snack and didn't ask for anything else! I asked her if she was still hungry and she said, "no", I think even she was surprised. So, for all my friends trying to curb their appetites...these muffins are a must. Oh...and they only have 130 calories a piece!!!

Almond Buckwheat Chia Muffins

2 eggs
1/4 C oil
1/4 C applesauce
1 C milk
1/2 C organic sugar (I used organic, you can use regular if that is all you have)
1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C buckwheat flour (ground up buckwheat groats)
1 T almond extract
1 T baking powder
2 T chia seeds

Mix all ingredients except chia seeds. Stir in chia seeds. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. If you desire, you can sprinkle sugar on the tops when there is about four more minutes of baking time left. Makes about 15 muffins.

P.S. The marathon is over!!! I'm satisfied with my time and feel good about the race. I am quite sure that was my last race because truthfully, 26.2 miles is just too darn far for my legs to run!!!


Vanilla Chia Muffins


Follow instructions for Almond Buckwheat Chia muffins, EXCEPT, substitute 1 T vanilla for almond extract. Follow directions as stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment