Thursday, March 3, 2011

Orange Honey Chicken


This is a recipe in my cookbook, but I decided to post it anyway, because we had it tonight. My kids LOVED it. Although it requires a bit of preparation (the breadcrumbs) it is worth it. The orange, honey and surprisingly, chicken broth, blend into a sweet, tangy sauce to baste the chicken with. The chicken is super moist, because it is continually drenched in the honey sauce. This is a big hit with my family and, as usual, it is coated in whole grains...gotta love those grains!!!


Orange Honey Chicken


1 C dry whole wheat bread crumbs

1 tsp salt

1/8 tsp ground pepper

3⁄4 C orange juice

6-8 chicken breasts

1 tsp chicken bouillon

1⁄2 C water

1⁄4 C butter

1⁄2 C +2 T honey


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the first three ingredients. Put orange juice in a bowl and coat each piece of chicken in orange juice and then in bread crumb mixture. Put chicken in greased 13X9 pan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Heat water. Mix chicken bouillon, water, butter and honey until thoroughly combined. Spoon over each chicken breast. Bake for another 20-30 minutes until chicken is done, spooning honey mixture over chicken every 5-10 minutes.

For added flavor, mix 11⁄2 T grated orange rind in with whole wheat bread crumbs, salt and pepper.


For Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs...I used the Delicious Honey Whole Wheat bread I had made earlier in the day. I sliced about 5 pieces of bread, dried them out at 200 degrees in the oven (on a cookie sheet) for several hours until they were crunchy, then I blended them in my blender until they were fine.


I'm going to give out my family's "all-time favorite" green smoothie recipe. My kids LOVE it, my husband loves it, I love it...and it has five vegetables in it...and four fruits! The blend of flavors is so satisfying...sweet, but not too sweet and no trace of the veggie taste that would send my kids running like chickens with their heads cut off. I'll give it out later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment