Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy. Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy."


Okay, some of you may not know that song, but around our house, whenever I made any kind of salad with fruit, we go about singing this silly song. It is from the Wiggles, ever seen it? It is the cutest kid's show ever with four grown men from England singing the catchiest (oddly unannoying songs). They teach kids about so many different topics through song...anyway...back to the subject at hand. My friend Jill Wren made this salad years ago and I've been in love with it ever since. I made it just the other day and took it to church for a social event...EVERYONE wanted the recipe. This recipe is in my cookbook, but I have a slightly sweeter variation for anyone who wants it a tad sweeter and I'll include that, too. The coolest thing about this salad is that when I bring it home from an event, if there is any left over, (which is a big "if"...I doubled the recipe and only had scanty amounts to bring home) my kids devour it!!! The other cool thing about this recipe is that you can go light on all of it and it is still DELICIOUS!!! The last cool thing about it...you can disguise wheat in it and get those you love eating whole grains. Truth be told, I have a friend of mine who declares openly that she "hates" whole wheat. She ate this salad and LOVED it, only to find out later that there was wheat in it. Anyway...I guess it is about time for the recipe.

Brown-Sugar Crusted Grape Salad **V**

21⁄2 lbs. grapes

6 oz. sour cream

6 oz. cream cheese

2 T wheat berry puree (to find out how to make this, click here: Ways to Use your Wheat

3⁄4 tsp vanilla

1/3 C sugar

1/3 C brown sugar

1⁄4 C chopped pecans (optional)


Blend sour cream, cream cheese, vanilla, wheat berry puree and sugar together. Coat grapes with mixture. Sprinkle brown sugar and pecans over grape mixture. Refrigerate until brown sugar is crusty. Serves 8-10.


Sweeter Variation: Mix the brown sugar in with the white sugar and then sprinkle extra brown sugar on top with the nuts, if using them.

Lighter Variation: I used nonfat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream to reduce calories AND add tons of protein to the salad! I also used light cream cheese...you can't tell at all and it is DELICIOUS! I can't tell you how many people asked for this recipe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment