Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Delicious Waffles with a Secret Ingredient that is Totally Undetectable!!!



Its been a while, again, sorry about that. We have been VERY busy. I do have one recipe I can share, though, and it is one of my favorites!!! I've been making sweet potato waffles for weeks now. It took me quite a few tries before I got this one right where I wanted it. It is really yummy and REALLY healthy! I love watching my kids and my husband devour these, knowing there are sweet potatoes in them!!! Anyway...here is the recipe:

Sweet Potato Waffles


1/2 C cooked sweet potato

2 T white sugar

1 T brown sugar

2 eggs

2 T oil

1 C buttermilk

1 T baking powder

1/2 C milk

1 3/4 C whole wheat flour


Mix all together on medium high speed for 30 seconds, then high speed for 1 minute. Bake in a preheated waffle iron.


Note: To cook the sweet potatoes, I use a knife and make about three stabs or slices in the potato on the top and the bottom of the potato. (about 3/4 in. deep and the width of the knife.) Then, I wrap the potatoes in tin foil and put them in a preheated 400 degree oven. I bake them for about an hour or until they are VERY soft. The softer they are, the easier they are to mix right in your batter AND the more undetectable. You can use white sweet potatoes, too, which means there is NO color change to tip anyone off.


Here's a tip: I ALWAYS double this recipe. After making the first batch, I put the leftover batter in tupperware and eat them for the next couple of days. My kids LOVE these and I LOVE seeing them eat such a healthy breakfast! Once the batter is made...it is as quick as cereal and A LOT healthier!!!


P.S. I have a sweet potato pancake recipe that we love, too and I'll give this one out soon. I also have some pictures of one of my all-time favorite recipes (in the cookbook) and a recipe for caramel chocolate cookies that we loved. So, don't worry...I'm still baking and still posting...even if it is a little slower...

No comments:

Post a Comment