Wednesday, January 26, 2011

MIA

Sorry, I know I've been a bit MIA recently. I've been working on a bunch of other stuff and not getting around to my blog too much. I have still been cooking with whole grains, but I haven't been as diligent with my posting.

This weekend a friend of mine said she made the "whole wheat biscuit mix" (similar to bisquick) in my cookbook and didn't know what to do with all of it. Well, I'm going to give out the biscuit recipe and the recipes that I love that go along with it.

Recipe for Biscuit mix

4 C sifted whole wheat flour (you can add a little more to make them puffier)
2 T + 2 tsp sugar
2 T baking powder
1 C shortening (I use butter-flavored crisco)
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C powdered milk
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, powdered milk, cream of tartar and baking soda. Add shortening and cut with two knives until crumbly, similar to cornmeal. You can also use your hands to combine shortening evenly...that is my favorite way to do it. Store in refrigerator and use to make biscuits quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment