Wednesday, January 12, 2011

All Together Now...



Okay, I'm totally motivated to shed my holiday pounds...we did NOT eat healthy in the month of December and I managed to gain about five pounds...sound familiar? I had very few whole grains, lots of sugar, etc., etc. Well, we are back to whole grains and tonight, we're having Taco Soup (vegetarian) with wheat berries and Quick and Easy Whole Wheat Rolls. The taco soup recipe is found below (I have this one already posted on my blog under soups). The roll recipe is an "insider" recipe...sorry. I do post it from time to time, but you have to check a lot to find it. Anyway, I thought I'd reveal the caloric information I just learned about the soup and rolls because this is what we'll be eating tonight and I was surprised to find that it is surprisingly light!!! So...if you want to join me...I'll be posting the calories of some of my favorite recipe. For the "insiders" you can jot these in your book...for the rest of you, just record them as you see them. For those of you who managed to avoid the sweets over the holidays...refer to my last two posts, eat those...then come back to this one!!!

Taco Soup (CR) **V**


1 large can of concentrated crushed tomatoes

1 can corn, undrained 1 can kidney beans, undrained

2 cans black beans, undrained (The original recipe has one can, but for vegetarian, I add 2 cans)

1 C cooked and cooled wheat berries

1 packet taco seasoning

1 packet ranch seasoning


Pour all ingredients in crockpot and cook for 2 hours until spices are blended. Serves 8


For 1/8 amount of this entire crockpot of soup...it is only 189 calories, 30 carbohydrates and 11 grams of protein!!!! That is a pretty good meal and a nice-sized serving of soup!!!


For my "insiders" the Quick and Easy Butter Rolls are only 120 calories per roll...not too bad, huh!!!


So...for a bowl of soup and a whole wheat roll...your total caloric intake is only 309 calories!!!!! Remember...it is loaded with fiber, too, which on the Weight Watcher scale dramatically lowers the points...ahhh...satisfaction.

1 comment: