Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Whole Wheat Flatbread!


I've been wanting to come up with a recipe for flatbread for a while because I didn't have one and there are a lot of fun recipes you can make with a good flatbread. Tonight, we had delicious chicken gyros...I know "real" gyros aren't made of chicken, but these are and they are wonderful. These are SO good, soft, supple...and healthy, too!!! I'm going to give you the flatbread recipe first...I'll give out the gyro recipe a little later this week!!!

Here is the flatbread recipe:


Flatbread

3 C whole wheat flour
1 ½ C boiling water
½ C potato pearls (can use potato flakes, too)
2 T + ½ tsp vegetable oil
1 ¼ tsp yeast
½ tsp gluten
½ tsp dough enhancer
1 tsp salt

Mix together the boiling water and the potato pearls (for about a minute) then add 2 C flour. Knead until thoroughly mixed (its okay if the potatoes aren’t completely dissolved…they will soften as they sit). Set aside for about 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, put the mixture in a bread maker. Mix the final cup of flour, oil, yeast, gluten and dough enhancer. Add salt. Dump the second mixture (with flour, oil, yeast, dough enhancer, gluten and salt) into the bread maker and set on the “dough” cycle.

Note: If you don’t have a bread maker, knead for about 10 minutes and then let rise in a warm place for about 1-1 ½ hours. It will be hard to mix in all the flour, but eventually, it will all mix in. Add flour, if needed, until dough is just barely sticky. I don’t need to add any more than the three cups.

After dough has risen, divide into 8 segments. Cover and let rise for another half an hour. Roll into circles. You may need to grease your hands, the surface, and the rolling pin to make sure they don’t stick to the dough. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat, but don’t add any oil. Lay circles on heated skillet, turn circles with your hand to ensure an evenly heated flatbread. When they begin to puff and form brown circles, flip them over and cook the other side. This takes me about 30-60 seconds for each side. Stack on a wire rack, cover and let cool. Either serve warm or put in a sealed baggie and serve later.


FYI: I'm going to try to do this with millet or quinoa so I have a gluten-free flatbread recipe for those of you who are gluten-intolerant.


P.S. I'm going to start a little bit of a natural section on this blog. I am a girl who has always been into Western Medicine...and I still am. I go to doctors...but I have had some of the most amazing experiences with alternative medicine. I thought it might be beneficial to tell others about this...so I may be starting this up with some personal experiences and stories soon. If you are in no way interested, don't worry, they won't be that often and you can just skip over them if you are uninterested. Any comments on this??? I'd love to hear some input from people...

1 comment: