Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Did you know???


Did you know the American Heart Association recommonds 6-8 servings of grains each day and that at least HALF should be whole grains??? Once again, that means that the bran, germ and endosperm are left intact. They mention that you should use all different types of grains because each type has its own nutritional benefits. The American Heart Association also recommends getting 25 grams of fiber PER DAY!!! They also state that you should try to get your fiber from food rather than supplements. Hmmm...very interesting. Try counting your fiber intake for the day...are you getting enough?

So, when doing your shopping this week, look for the above symbol. It means that the food contains at least 51% whole grains AND is low in saturated fat and cholesterol!!!

Of course, if you plan your menus around my recipes...you'll be sure to get your whole grains!!! That is why I add grains to almost EVERYTHING my family eats...we boil it, puree it, sprout it, grind it, etc. When fiber is so very important and whole grains are so essential to nutrition...why not pack your food with grains!!!

FYI: I am trying to incorporate a larger variety of grains into our diet...as you have noticed with all of my posts on different grains. Tonight, we'll be having calzones and I'm going to see if I can incorporate some Teff flour into the dough...we'll see...I'll let you know how it turns out!!! I'm also looking into some recipes with amaranth...so hang on...there's more fun recipes to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment