Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cake in a Cup...




Its been a while since I have done a family fun post...so I thought it was about time. I decided to experiment with a cake-in-a-cup recipe and convert it to whole wheat. This was inspired by my friend Tifani's blog...she did this about ayear ago and my kids thought it was SOOO cool! Okay, is it the best cake...heavens no, its a microwave cake...how good could it be, but will your kids think its cool...YES! I have found a way to make it more appetizing, too, enough that my kids did end up loving it. The caramel ice cream topping made all the difference. Oh, and the second picture is just a fun way to make it look like hot chocolate...my kids love those cookie sticks and they are available at the Dollar Store!!!

Okay, so here it is:


Cake in a Cup

4 T whole wheat flour
4 T sugar
2 T cocoa
1 egg
3 T milk
3 T oil
3 T semi-sweet chocolate chips
Caramel ice cream topping

In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar and cocoa. Add egg, milk and oil and stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into a mug. Microwave for three minutes. The cake will get really tall, but shouldn’t go over the side of the mug. After three minutes, take cake out of the microwave…it will sink while it sits and cools. Poke holes all over the cake with a straw or chopstick. Slightly warm some caramel topping until it is drizzling consistency. Pour caramel all over the cake. Let cool slightly. You can then top with bits of chocolate covered toffee, if desired.


FYI: to make it look like hot chocolate, just squirt whipped cream and put one of the cookie sticks in...my kids LOVE this activity!!!
Stay tuned...I haven't forgotten the Teff pancake recipe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment