Monday, July 26, 2010

More Sweet Potatoes...


Remember how good sweet potatoes are for you? Ahhh... sweet potatoes...that wonderful, healthy vegetable that my kids (and my husband) will actually eat...as long as it is somewhat disguised. Thanks to my friend Tifani, I have this wonderful sweet potato muffin recipe. This is another one that my family, including my husband, devours. This recipe is not in my book, so be sure to copy it if you like it!!!

Sweet Potato Muffins

Muffin Batter
1 sweet potato (medium-sized)
2 ¼ C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp allspice
¼ C vegetable oil (can substitute with applesauce to make it lower fat)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ C honey
¾ C buttermilk
1 T ground flaxseed

Topping



¼ C oatmeal
¼ C brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potato with a fork five or six times. Wrap in tin foil. Bake in the oven for one hour. Mix together the topping and blend in a blender until uniform in texture. Remove sweet potato from the oven and turn heat down to 350 degrees. Mash sweet potato. Add all other ingredients EXCEPT topping ingredients. Mix until smooth. Grease muffin tins with kitchen oil spray (Pam). (I use a medium-sized muffin tin and it makes about 32 muffins…this is somewhere between mini muffins and regular-sized muffins). Fill muffin tins about ¾ full with muffin batter. Sprinkle topping on each muffin and bake for 15-17 minutes (may take longer for regular-sized muffins and a little less time for mini muffins). These are so good and your kids are eating veggies!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just got my cookbook and I love it! So many great recipes. Can't wait to start trying them out. Great job, Sueann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you like them!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete