Friday, May 13, 2011

When you are on the go...


If your life is like mine...you are on the go like crazy right now. Between soccer, end-of-level testing, gymnastics, fund-raisers, end-of-year events and now, marathon training, my life is absolutely, in a word, chaotic. Some of you may have noticed the lack of posts for a long while...well, that was a direct correlation to my hectic schedule. Anyway, we are now tapering, thus, more posts. Things are winding down, but far from over, so, I have a recipe for a quick, easy breakfast. I love this recipe because they are made with more than one type of grain and packed with fiber, I can make them ahead of time and take them on-the-go, after dinner they can serve as dessert, and my kids love them. So, here is my gift to all of you feeling as crazy as I do right now:


Multigrain Strawberry Bars


1/2 C salted butter

1/2 C brown sugar


Cream above ingredients then add:


1/2 C applesauce

1 1/4 tsp. vanilla

3/4 tsp. salt

2 T milk


Mix all above ingredients together, then add:


1 3/4 C whole wheat flour

1 3/4 C uncooked oats


Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly blended. Pat half of the mixture into a greased 9X9 pan, then add:


1 C strawberry (or any flavor) preserves


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Smooth preserves over the entire bottom layer of batter. Take the last half of the batter, bit by bit and flatten it between your hands and lay it over the preserves until it covers the entire preserve layer. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until top is just barely golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment