Monday, May 9, 2011

For the VegHeads in my life...again!


As I mentioned...in the summer, I become what is called a "flexitarian" or "semi-vegetarian", which really means I eat a lot less meat than I eat in the winter. We've been devouring the Morningstar Black Bean Burgers from Costco. P.S. The enchilada recipe on the side of the box is AMAZING!!! We've also been drinking lots of green smoothies, for which I hope to grow all the ingredients by the fall! Anyway, I found something called "pink lentils" and decided to try them in a chili...they are wonderful. You only have to cook them for about 20-30 minutes for them to be ready to throw in the chili. I also use wheat berries in this chili. This is probably one of the most delicious, fiber-filled, healthiest chilis you've ever eaten. It is actually a form of taco soup, because I believe the flavoring in taco soup is one of the most delicious chili flavors I've ever had.

Before you begin:

Bring 1 1/2 C pink lentils and about 5 C of water to a boil. Boil until the lentils split, about 20-30 minutes, adding more water if you need it. Don't let it boil dry!

Bring 1 1/3 C wheat and about 5 C of water to a boil. Boil until wheat is nice and plump, about an hour, adding more water if you need it. Don't let it boil dry!

In a crockpot, while beans and wheat are boiling add:

1 can whole kernal corn (15-16 oz.)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet ranch seasoning (I use Hidden Valley Ranch)
1 can black beans (15-16 oz.)
1 can garbanzo beans (15-16 oz.)
1 can kidney beans (15-16 oz.)
1 can chili beans (15-16 oz.)
1 large can Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes (29 oz.)

Stir and let cook in crockpot while lentils and wheat cook. When lentils and wheat are finished, stir them in. Let the chili continue to cook for at least 2 hours to let all the flavors blend. I promise you won't miss the meat!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment